EBay taps mobile payments innovator David Marcus for PayPal president
EBay's choice reflects its aggressive push to dominate the mobile payments market
IDG News Service - EBay has tapped David Marcus to replace Scott Thompson as president of PayPal effective April 2, the company announced Thursday.
Thompson left the company to become CEO of Yahoo in January. Marcus joined PayPal in August 2011, when the company acquired Zong, the mobile payments provider Marcus founded. Marcus most recently served as PayPal's vice president of mobile.
Marcus' promotion underscores PayPal's current focus on expanding its mobile payments offerings. Earlier this month, Marcus announced the company's launch of PayPal Here, an app that supports traditional PayPal payments and features a credit card reader that plugs into a smartphone to allow small businesses to accept credit and debit cards. With its own apps and others that support its payment system, PayPal expects to process US$7 billion in mobile payments this year.
"The future of commerce is mobile, and given its recent activity PayPal clearly intends to be an integral part of our future commerce experience at physical and digital points of sale," analyst DenA(c)e Carrington, with Forrester Research, said in an email.A
"Marcus's appointment signals the importance that mobile payments will play in PayPal's growth strategy. I believe we will see more from PayPal this year in the mobile wallet space," Carrington wrote.
Roger Kay, president of Endpoint Technologies Associates, also saw the choice of leadership as reflecting business strategy. Marcus "is in the growth end of PayPal, and PayPal has been eBay's best property," he said. As an internal promotion, Marcus "is tuned up to the fastest-growing segment of the business."
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts