Half of all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones: Nielsen
Numbers have grown nearly 40% in a year
Computerworld - Almost half of the mobile phones in use in the U.S. are smartphones, according to a Nielsen survey.
Specifically, a Nielsen Mobile Insights survey of 20,000 cellphone users found that 49.7% all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones. That figure represents a 38% increase in smartphone usage from a year ago, Nielsen said in a blog post on Thursday.
In the three-month period ending in February, more than 66% of buyers of a new mobile device chose a smartphone over what's called a feature phone, according to Nielsen.
Nielsen reported that Android devices account for 48% of the smartphones in use, while iPhones represent 32.1% of the market and BlackBerries account for 11.6%. In the three months ending in February, 48% of smartphone buyers chose an Android phone and 43% chose an iPhone, Nielsen said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!