Half of all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones: Nielsen
Numbers have grown nearly 40% in a year
Computerworld - Almost half of the mobile phones in use in the U.S. are smartphones, according to a Nielsen survey.
Specifically, a Nielsen Mobile Insights survey of 20,000 cellphone users found that 49.7% all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones. That figure represents a 38% increase in smartphone usage from a year ago, Nielsen said in a blog post on Thursday.
In the three-month period ending in February, more than 66% of buyers of a new mobile device chose a smartphone over what's called a feature phone, according to Nielsen.
Nielsen reported that Android devices account for 48% of the smartphones in use, while iPhones represent 32.1% of the market and BlackBerries account for 11.6%. In the three months ending in February, 48% of smartphone buyers chose an Android phone and 43% chose an iPhone, Nielsen said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts