Half of all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones: Nielsen
Numbers have grown nearly 40% in a year
Computerworld - Almost half of the mobile phones in use in the U.S. are smartphones, according to a Nielsen survey.
Specifically, a Nielsen Mobile Insights survey of 20,000 cellphone users found that 49.7% all U.S. mobile phones are smartphones. That figure represents a 38% increase in smartphone usage from a year ago, Nielsen said in a blog post on Thursday.
In the three-month period ending in February, more than 66% of buyers of a new mobile device chose a smartphone over what's called a feature phone, according to Nielsen.
Nielsen reported that Android devices account for 48% of the smartphones in use, while iPhones represent 32.1% of the market and BlackBerries account for 11.6%. In the three months ending in February, 48% of smartphone buyers chose an Android phone and 43% chose an iPhone, Nielsen said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!