SuccessFactors offers free version of Jam software in hit against Salesforce.com
Jam is a rival to Salesforce.com's social collaboration tool Chatter
IDG News Service - SAP's SuccessFactors subsidiary is rolling out a version of its Jam social collaboration platform at no charge to all users, the company announced Wednesday.
A premium version of Jam with additional features, such as enterprise connectors to systems such as Microsoft SharePoint, access to an API (application programming interface) and unlimited storage will also be available, according to SuccessFactors, which SAP acquired earlier this year.
SuccessFactors has installed some 430,000 seats of Premier in the fourth quarter of 2011, the company said in a statement.
Jam includes a range of familiar social features such as user profiles, groups, blogs and file sharing. The company positions it as complementary to its range of HCM (human capital management) applications for employee learning, recruitment, job performance and other areas. SuccessFactors also offers mobile access to Jam on BlackBerry, iPad, iPhone and Android devices.
While not explicitly stated in SuccessFactors' announcement, there seems to be one likely rationale behind its move.
"It's a counter to Chatter," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research, referring to a Salesforce.com product which has broadly similar capabilities to Jam. "The intent is to provide SAP customers with one option to stay within the family."
"There's a battle for social users," Wang added. "No vendor wants to be left behind."
Like Jam, Chatter is aligned as a counterpart to a portfolio of business applications, which Salesforce.com recently directed into HCM territory with the acquisition of Rypple.
Earlier this month, Salesforce.com rolled out a new version of Rypple, which centers on employee performance management. Salesforce.com has integrated Rypple with Chatter, which like Jam also has a no-cost version as well as a premium edition.
Moreover, Salesforce.com has made little secret of its interest in SAP's massive installed base. In October, it unveiled a set of services aimed at making SAP shops "social enterprises" through Salesforce.com's technology.
With Jam, SAP is also looking to fend off competition from other social collaboration products, such as Yammer and Socialcast.
SAP's $3.4 billion acquisition of SuccessFactors was seen as a general hedge against competition from pure cloud vendors like Salesforce.com. SuccessFactors CEO Lars Dalgaard has been placed in charge of SAP's overall cloud strategy, which also includes the Business ByDesign ERP (enterprise resource planning) suite and a series of specialized applications for various lines of business.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts