Box unveils cloud service for workplace mobile apps
Called OneCloud, the service is now available for iPhones and iPads
IDG News Service - Box, a provider of cloud-hosted enterprise collaboration and content management software, will announce on Wednesday a new service designed to consolidate in a single repository companies' mobile applications and the data they generate.
Called OneCloud, the new Box cloud service is designed to help IT departments better manage the mobile applications that their end users install on their tablets and PCs and use for work, as well as the data and documents they create.
By using OneCloud as the central console and storage service for these applications and their content, companies can avoid the "silos" of data that are created when employees' mobile applications aren't linked in this manner, said Matthew Self, vice president of platform engineering at Box.
By storing documents in OneCloud, employees will be able to share them with each other and collaborate, while IT departments gain administration and management control over the stack of mobile applications available to their end users.
Initially, OneCloud will work with iPhones and iPads, and later it will support Android devices as well. At launch, OneCloud's mobile application gallery will feature about 30 applications from partner vendors, including Quickoffice, Mindjet, Adobe's EchoSign and Brainshark's SlideShark.
OneCloud also comes with developer tools, so that third-party developers can integrate their applications with the Box platform.
Box's collaboration and content management software is currently used by about 10 million end users in about 120,000 companies, including 82 percent of the Fortune 500, Self said.
Now with OneCloud, Box becomes the front-end interface where users can create, edit and share files via tight integration with dozens of partner applications, according to Alan Lepofsky, an analyst with Constellation Research.
"Today's announcement helps further differentiate Box from other 'simple file sharing' vendors, as Box is no longer just a back-end for storing and synchronizing files," Lepofsky said via e-mail.
OneCloud, however, requires a change in mindset among users whose first thought is to just "store" files in Box, he said. "Now you can perform dozens of actions -- via launching partner applications -- right from within Box itself," he said.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts