Apple to offer refund over Australian 4G iPad claims
Apple is trying to appease a regulator that is taking the company to court for allegedly misleading advertisements
IDG News Service - Apple will offer refunds to people who bought its latest iPad following a claim by Australia's competition regulator that it ran misleading advertisements over the device's 4G connectivity.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) took Apple to the Federal Court in Melbourne on Wednesday for allegedly violating sections of the Australian Consumer Law.
The ACCC claims that Apple's advertisements mislead the public over the device's 4G capabilities, as the latest iPad is not compatible with Australia's sole 4G network, which is run by Telstra.
Telstra operates its 4G service within the 1800MHz band, while the latest iPad can only be used on the 700MHz and 2100MHz LTE bands. The new iPad is compatible with 4G LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada using data speed specifications including HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA.
At Wednesday's hearing, Apple agreed to several of the ACCC's remedies, although the two sides are scheduled for two more court hearings next month and a liability hearing in May.
Apple agreed to display an advisory by April 5 on its website and in promotional material reading "This product supports very fast cellular networks.A It is not compatible with current Australian 4G LTE networks and WiMAX Networks." The same message will be displayed in its stores and by resellers.
The company will also e-mail people who bought an iPad between March 16 and March 28 and inform them of the connectivity issue and offer a refund, according to a news release published by the ACCC after the hearing.
Apple officials could not be reached on Wednesday. An ACCC official declined to comment, citing the ongoing legal case.
A directions hearing is scheduled for April 16, with a mediation hearing scheduled for April 18. A hearing on liability is scheduled for May 2.
The ACCC said on Tuesday it would seek to ensure consumers are aware of the iPad's "correct technical capabilities" as well as pursue other orders including injunctions, financial penalties, corrective advertising and refunds.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts