Verizon hopes to draw first-time LTE smartphone buyers with the LG Lucid
Sales start Thursday; device features tutorials for beginners
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless on Thursday will begin exclusive sales of the LG Lucid smartphone, offering it for $79.99 after rebate with a two-year agreement.
The device features a 4-in. touchscreen and runs Google's Android 2.3 operating system, though upgrades to Android 4.0 will eventually be available. It will run on Verizon's 4G LTE network, making it one of the lowest-priced smartphones to support faster LTE service, which Verizon now offers in more than 200 markets nationwide.
In addition to its low price tag, the Lucid includes a number of other features geared toward first-time smartphone users, according to Verizon. For example, step-by-step tutorials are loaded into the device to help newcomers, and a variety of shortcuts on the lock screen provide instant access to calling functions, messaging tools, voice mail and the camera.
There's also an app for business professionals called Polaris Office, which is designed to make it easy to open, create and edit Microsoft Office documents, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel files, Verizon said. The Lucid can also function as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 10 devices -- a feature that can be used by people who want to work together in a group.
Low-cost smartphones are expected to flood the market in coming months. On April 8, AT&T will begin selling the Lumia 900, a Windows Phone device from Nokia, for $100.
Some smartphones sell for as much as $300, an indication that wireless carriers and manufacturers are working to offer smartphone options that appeal to customers in both the high and low ends of the market, analysts have said.
While the Lucid's price tag is low, its features don't seem to be cut-rate. The phone is built with a 1.2-GHz dual-core processor and features a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with HD (1080p) video-capture capability. Verizon didn't reveal the megapixel rating for the front-facing camera.
As it does with other smartphones, Verizon will require buyers of the Lucid to purchase a nationwide talk plan starting at $40 a month, as well as a smartphone data plan, starting at $30 for 2GB of monthly data usage.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts