HTC to shut Sense backup services
After April 30, HTC will delete user data
IDG News Service - HTC plans to shut down its HTCsense.com cloud backup services on April 30 in preparation for the launch of "new and improved services," it said on its website.
The HTCsense.com services let HTC phone users back up contacts, messages, call history and geotagged photos in the cloud.
The backup service will become unavailable after April 30, when HTC plans to delete customer data, the company said on the HTCsense.com website. In the meantime, users are encouraged to download their data. HTC is offering tips on how to do so.
It also suggests that users visit Google Play, the recently rebranded Android Market, to look for a backup application that might meet their needs.
HTC didn't say when a new service would be launched.
Earlier this year HTC said it planned to launch Sense 4, the latest version of the software that runs on its Android phones. It said that users of its forthcoming HTC One series of phones, which will come with Sense 4, would be able to use 25 gigabytes of free storage with Dropbox. The service will be integrated with Sense 4 so that users can easily store photos online at Dropbox, HTC said.
The company may also be implementing technologies it acquired along with Dashwire last year. That backup service let phone users store contacts, text messages, calendar entries, photos, videos and voicemail messages online. It also let users send and receive text messages, manage contacts, make new calendar items and listen to voicemail from a browser on a computer. When it announced the acquisition, HTC said it would use Dashwire's technology to extend its HTCsense cloud services.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!