Network World - The rapid adoption of 802.11n has become a significant milestone in the history of wireless LANs. The MIMO-based technologies used in most 802.11n systems provide enough throughput, reliability, and rate vs. range performance to effectively remove the last major barriers to the broad adoption of WLANs in the enterprise.
But there is a broad range of options specified in 802.11n, and, consequently, many products with highly varying performance are on the market. A given 802.11n product is usually categorized by the number of spatial streams, with nominally 150Mbps of throughput possible per stream, assuming a 40 MHz. channel and a short guard interval.
Today, 600Mbps, via four streams, is the upper bound of the 802.11n standard, with two-stream implementations at nominally 300Mbps the effective norm. But we're starting to see a significant number of three-stream access points promising up to 450Mbps coming into the market.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The High-Performance WAN Find out what are some of the top problems associated with large WANs and the technologies typically used to solve them.
- Building Your Network Management Toolset Network Management is one of things that is sometimes overlooked make sure you don't. Find out how to take advantage of it and...
- Optimizing the Network The network has become a utility that users can't do without. Mobility and bandwidth-hungry apps demand faster and more efficient networks.
- Ultra-Low-Latency Networking In a world where so much trading is systematic, millisecond delays matter. Low-latency, high-performance networking, therefore, has become a competitive imperative.
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload...
- Making Your Application Delivery Environment Cloud-Ready Join Kavitha Mariappan, Director of Product Marketing at Riverbed Technology, and Bob Laliberte, Senior Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group, as they discuss the... All LAN/WAN White Papers | Webcasts