Apple to offer royalty-free nano-SIM patents
The company steps up its efforts to have its proposal win later this week
IDG News Service - The battle over next-generation nano-SIM card technology intensified after Apple sent a letter to the director general of standards organization ETSI, saying its proposal will be royalty-free, according to a report.
The letter, which was shown to patent analyst and blogger Florian Mueller by a source, said that Apple would grant royalty-free licenses to any Apple patents essential to nano-SIM, provided that the company's proposal is adopted as a standard and that all other patent holders accept the same terms, according to Mueller. Mueller declined to identify the source.
This week, Apple's proposal will go head-to-head with a competing one from Nokia, Research In Motion and Motorola Mobility, as the ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) decides which card future smartphones and tablets will use.
If the competing proposal isn't royalty-free, Apple's nano-SIM will have a key advantage that will affect the outcome of the vote, Mueller said via email.
Last week, Nokia detailed why its nano-SIM proposal is technically superior.
For example, it has completely different dimensions from today's micro-SIM cards, while Apple's proposed card has the same length as the width of current micro SIMs, and so would risk jamming if users tried to force it into devices, leading to card and product damage, Nokia said.
Also, Apple's proposal requires a tray, which increases cost and takes up more room. The latter would mitigate the advantages of having a smaller card, according to Nokia.
Apple did not respond to requests for comment on Nokia's claims. Neither Apple nor Nokia commented on the letter to ETSI.
The vote is scheduled to take place on Thursday, according to SIM card maker Giesecke & Devrient.
When the nano-SIM card eventually becomes standardized, its smaller size will free up room for additional memory and larger batteries, helping phone vendors create thinner devices, Giesecke & Devrient said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts