New iPad clears China regulatory hurdle
Apple stills faces a trademark dispute over the iPad name in the country
IDG News Service - Apple received Chinese regulatory approval for an iPad device last week, signaling that the company plans on bringing its newest tablet to the country, even as it faces a continuing legal battle over the iPad trademark.
The iPad device was granted the China Compulsory Certification by the China Quality Certification Center according to the regulator's website. The certification is a mandatory stamp necessary for Apple to sell the device in the country.
In China, Apple has historically launched its hottest new products weeks to months after they go on sale in the U.S. While the company has yet to announce when it will launch its newest version of the iPad in the country, unauthorized Chinese Apple vendors have managed to smuggle in their own product and sell them for higher prices.
Apple's iPad sales, however, are already facing Chinese regulatory scrutiny because of an ongoing legal dispute over who owns the iPad trademark name in the country.
Chinese firm Proview claims to have actual ownership of the trademarks since 2001, and denies ever selling them to Apple. The company has filed lawsuits and dozens of complaints with authorities demanding all iPad sales be stopped because of trademark infringement. A higher court in Guangzhou, China, is currently deliberating the case.
3G versions of Apple's iPad will still need Chinese regulatory approval for a network access permit, according to experts. But even with the approval, Chinese authorities could still decide to intervene, given the ongoing trademark dispute, said Sun Peilin, an analyst with Beijing-based research firm Analysys International.
Pin-Chen Tang, an analyst with research firm Canalys, however, noted that iPads are still being sold through official channels in China. He expects Apple to face no additional approval in gaining permission to sell its latest iPad in the country.
Apple's iPad dominated China's tablet market at the end of the fourth quarter, with a 69.3% share, according to research firm Canalys.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more