Google, Oracle to hold last-minute settlement talks
A magistrate judge has ordered top executives from both sides to meet for talks ahead of their April 16 trial date
IDG News Service - Oracle and Google will hold another round of settlement talks as the trial date nears in their high-stakes court battle over Google's alleged misuse of Java in Android.
A magistrate judge assigned to the case has ordered senior executives from both sides to be present at the talks. The participants must include "at least" Oracle President Safra Catz and Andy Rubin, the head of Google's Android division, according to an order issued Friday.
The talks must take place no later than April 9, the magistrate judge wrote. An eight-week jury trial is scheduled to begin on April 16.
Both parties may feel they have some incentive to settle. Oracle has struggled to show the court how it arrived at its damages estimate, and the amount it now seeks at trial appears significantly lower than it had originally hoped for. And Google has tried and failed repeatedly to have a potentially damaging email written by one of its engineers excluded from the case.
Still, it's not clear what prompted the judge to order the new round of talks at this time. The parties have met several times before, including in a face-to-face meeting between Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and Google CEO Larry Page, and failed to find common ground.
However, the likelihood of a settlement often increases as a trial date draws closer.
Oracle accuses Google of using Oracle's Java technology in Android in a way that violates its patents and copyrights. Google denies any wrongdoing.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts