Google, Oracle to hold last-minute settlement talks
A magistrate judge has ordered top executives from both sides to meet for talks ahead of their April 16 trial date
IDG News Service - Oracle and Google will hold another round of settlement talks as the trial date nears in their high-stakes court battle over Google's alleged misuse of Java in Android.
A magistrate judge assigned to the case has ordered senior executives from both sides to be present at the talks. The participants must include "at least" Oracle President Safra Catz and Andy Rubin, the head of Google's Android division, according to an order issued Friday.
The talks must take place no later than April 9, the magistrate judge wrote. An eight-week jury trial is scheduled to begin on April 16.
Both parties may feel they have some incentive to settle. Oracle has struggled to show the court how it arrived at its damages estimate, and the amount it now seeks at trial appears significantly lower than it had originally hoped for. And Google has tried and failed repeatedly to have a potentially damaging email written by one of its engineers excluded from the case.
Still, it's not clear what prompted the judge to order the new round of talks at this time. The parties have met several times before, including in a face-to-face meeting between Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and Google CEO Larry Page, and failed to find common ground.
However, the likelihood of a settlement often increases as a trial date draws closer.
Oracle accuses Google of using Oracle's Java technology in Android in a way that violates its patents and copyrights. Google denies any wrongdoing.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts