Google, Oracle to hold last-minute settlement talks
A magistrate judge has ordered top executives from both sides to meet for talks ahead of their April 16 trial date
IDG News Service - Oracle and Google will hold another round of settlement talks as the trial date nears in their high-stakes court battle over Google's alleged misuse of Java in Android.
A magistrate judge assigned to the case has ordered senior executives from both sides to be present at the talks. The participants must include "at least" Oracle President Safra Catz and Andy Rubin, the head of Google's Android division, according to an order issued Friday.
The talks must take place no later than April 9, the magistrate judge wrote. An eight-week jury trial is scheduled to begin on April 16.
Both parties may feel they have some incentive to settle. Oracle has struggled to show the court how it arrived at its damages estimate, and the amount it now seeks at trial appears significantly lower than it had originally hoped for. And Google has tried and failed repeatedly to have a potentially damaging email written by one of its engineers excluded from the case.
Still, it's not clear what prompted the judge to order the new round of talks at this time. The parties have met several times before, including in a face-to-face meeting between Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and Google CEO Larry Page, and failed to find common ground.
However, the likelihood of a settlement often increases as a trial date draws closer.
Oracle accuses Google of using Oracle's Java technology in Android in a way that violates its patents and copyrights. Google denies any wrongdoing.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Legal White Papers | Webcasts