Facebook rolls out high-res photo display, full-screen viewer
Facebook's expanded photo-sharing options suggest it is competing with Instagram and Pinterest
IDG News Service - Facebook now automatically displays shared photos at their highest possible resolution for users on a desktop and offers a full-screen viewing option, the company announced Thursday.
The company claims that photos will display as much as four times bigger on a large desktop monitor.
The changes to Facebook's photo-sharing interface suggest that the company is responding to growing competition from sites like Pinterest and Instagram and from Google+, which includes a full-screen photo viewer, according to Patrick Moorhead, the principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy.
"This is absolutely a defensive move to thwart off any advances that either Instagram or Pinterest will make," Moorhead said. User appreciate how Google+ handles photographs, he said.
Some social media enthusiasts are spending less time on Facebook and more on Instagram and Pinterest, he said.
Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Brian Blau, an analyst at Gartner, said the move would bring Facebook "up to speed" with other photo-sharing services. Its previous photo viewer "seemed to be kind of a tacky addition to what is otherwise a nicely laid out service," he said.
He sees the changes as part of Facebook's ongoing efforts to keep users on its platform for longer.
"Google, Facebook and Apple are all trying to expand their own feature sets so they can keep users on their sites," he said. "It is competition, but not over photo sharing per se."
Facebook's newly launched photo-viewing features currently work in up-to-date Chrome and Firefox Web browsers only. Users can upload photographs with a maximum resolution of 2048-by-2048 pixels.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts