Google boosts security of hosted developer services
Google services like Cloud Storage will now be able to authenticate interaction with applications using certificate-based technology
IDG News Service - Google has beefed up the security of its cloud hosted services for developers by making several of them able to authenticate interactions with applications using certificate-based Service Accounts.
These certificates offer a stronger authentication method than shared keys and passwords because they aren't "human-readable or guessable," wrote Google product manager Justin Smith in a blog post.
Cloud-hosted developer services that can now authenticate application requests through Service Accounts are Google Cloud Storage; Google Prediction API; Google URL Shortener; Google OAuth 2.0 Authorization Server; Google APIs Console; and Google APIs Client Libraries for Python, Java, and PHP.
Google plans to add more APIs and client libraries to that list. The feature is implemented as an OAuth 2.0 flow and is compliant with draft 25 of the OAuth 2.0 specification, according to Smith.
IDC analyst Stephen Hendrick said that security remains the main concern among users regarding cloud services, so Google has done well to focus on this initiative.
"Since the cloud is predicated on service enablement, security improvements specific to service invocation are likely to gain attention and garner praise. Initiatives like OAuth 2.0 and Google's decision to align their Service Account support with OAuth is an important step forward in improving cloud security," Hendrick said via email.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!