Samsung's Galaxy Note will get Android 4.0 in Q2, along with new apps
The upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich was supposed to arrive in the first quarter
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics will upgrade its Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich starting during the second quarter. The upgrade will also include new applications that take advantage of the device's digital pen, the company said Thursday.
The upgrade will be distributed worldwide, Samsung said, without sharing any detailed arrival dates. In December, Samsung said the product would be upgraded during the first quarter.
The Galaxy Note was originally launched in September. It has a 5.3-inch Super AMOLED display, and can be used a smartphone or a "smart notepad," according to Samsung. The digital S Pen lets users write and draw directly on the screen.
The so-called Premium Suite will besides Android 4. 0 also include S Note, an app that lets users combine their notes and sketches with other digital content, according to Samsung. The application will come with templates for meeting minutes and diary entries, it said.
Another pen-enabled application is My Story, which will make it possible to create cards for friends or family using any type of content such as notes, video content, photos, text or voice.
However, the latest version of Android is the most important part of the Premium Suite. It has a new user interface with a redesigned menu for easier multi-tasking. Android 4.0 also introduces features such as Face Unlock, which allows users to log in using face recognition, and Android Beam, which shares content using NFC (Near-Field Communications).
Last week, Samsung started upgrading its Galaxy S II to Android 4.0, as well.
Other phones and tablets that will be upgraded include the Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy R, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, 7.7, 8.9, 8.9 LTE and 10.1, Samsung said at the time.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!