Samsung's Galaxy Note will get Android 4.0 in Q2, along with new apps
The upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich was supposed to arrive in the first quarter
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics will upgrade its Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich starting during the second quarter. The upgrade will also include new applications that take advantage of the device's digital pen, the company said Thursday.
The upgrade will be distributed worldwide, Samsung said, without sharing any detailed arrival dates. In December, Samsung said the product would be upgraded during the first quarter.
The Galaxy Note was originally launched in September. It has a 5.3-inch Super AMOLED display, and can be used a smartphone or a "smart notepad," according to Samsung. The digital S Pen lets users write and draw directly on the screen.
The so-called Premium Suite will besides Android 4. 0 also include S Note, an app that lets users combine their notes and sketches with other digital content, according to Samsung. The application will come with templates for meeting minutes and diary entries, it said.
Another pen-enabled application is My Story, which will make it possible to create cards for friends or family using any type of content such as notes, video content, photos, text or voice.
However, the latest version of Android is the most important part of the Premium Suite. It has a new user interface with a redesigned menu for easier multi-tasking. Android 4.0 also introduces features such as Face Unlock, which allows users to log in using face recognition, and Android Beam, which shares content using NFC (Near-Field Communications).
Last week, Samsung started upgrading its Galaxy S II to Android 4.0, as well.
Other phones and tablets that will be upgraded include the Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy R, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, 7.7, 8.9, 8.9 LTE and 10.1, Samsung said at the time.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more