EMC buys app development management firm Pivotal Labs
It also plans an open-source initiative around Greenplum
Computerworld - EMC announced Tuesday that it has acquired application development consultancy, Pivotal Labs, which will help Greenplum customers more quickly develop software for big data business analytics through the use of methodologies and programming frameworks such as Ruby on Rails.
The financial details around the all-cash acquisition of the privately-held Pivotal Labs were not disclosed.
EMC also announced Greenplum Chorus, an open-source, social networking-style toolset for Big Data application development. The platform is focused on enabling data science teams to collaborate on datasets in a manner similar to Facebook.
Greenplum, which EMC acquired last year, built a large-scale data warehousing and analytics database based on a MapReduce software framework. "Pivotal will accelerate the development and adoption of Big Data applications in the enterprise," EMC said.
Greenplum Chorus is part of the OpenChorus Initiative, an industry effort to foster widespread development of social-enabled, purpose-built Big Data apps for the open-source community.
The Greenplum Chorus source code will be released under an open-source license in the second half of 2012.
Michael Maxey, senior director of product marketing at EMC Greenplum, said Pivotal Labs helped Greenplum develop Chorus, its first user interface. That made acquiring the company a natural fit.
While Pivotal Labs has intellectual property in its PivotalTracker software product, the company's fundamental business revolves around partnering with companies to assist in application development.
Founded in 1989, Pivotal Labs has more than 240,000 customers using its Pivotal Tracker software development tool, including Groupon, Best Buy, Salesfore.com and Twitter.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts