How to get a hot job in big data
The big data revolution is creating a new breed of business-IT jobs -- and threatening to destabilize dyed-in-the-wool IT careers
Infoworld - Big data is reshaping business IT. Thanks to cheap storage, massive processing power, and tools like Hadoop, organizations are now able to mine terabytes of information and derive useful business intelligence from it. But the data revolution is also creating a new breed of hybrid business-IT jobs, ones that blend business knowledge and powerful IT tools to the benefit of tech-savvy line-of-business professionals -- and the possible detriment of IT pros oblivious to the big data trend.
[ Also on InfoWorld: Bring peace to your IT department by avoiding IT turf wars and the nine circles of IT hell. | Find out which of our eight classic IT personality types best suit your temperament by taking the InfoWorld IT personality type quiz. | Cut to the key news for technology development and IT management with the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. ]
The data deluge is affecting more than just America's cubicle farms. Industries as diverse as toolmaking, auto repair, and health care are being transformed by technology, adds Dr. Tracey Wilen-Daugenti, managing director of the Apollo Research Institute and author of "Society 3.0: How Technology Is Reshaping Education, Work, and Society."
"Precision toolmakers need people with computer backgrounds to run their assembly lines," she says. "As cars get smarter, we need tech people who understand how to build and repair them. Hospitals need patient advocates who understand health care, the law, and database technology so they can help people maneuver through the system. Every industry will require smart technology people with subject-matter expertise who can create new devices and think through all ways they might be used. "
Here are five hybrid data-driven jobs born of the big data revolution -- and one in danger of being sidelined by the deluge, as yesterday's "superusers" transform into tomorrow's business-IT professionals.
Data mining: The physicist who became a data scientistJonathan Goldman's job is a textbook example of the changes big data has brought. The director of analytics and applications for Aster Data, a division of data warehousing giant Teradata Systems, Goldman holds a doctorate in physics. But after he joined LinkedIn in 2006, he became a data scientist.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- IDC: Dual Perspectives on ITaaS This global survey by IDG Research Services of more than 350 IT and BU directors at enterprises of 1,000 employees or more reveals...
- ESG Whitepaper: Integrated Computing Platforms: Infrastructure Builds Tomorrow's Data Center Thought Leadership Report: 'Integrated Computing Platforms: Infrastructure Builds for Tomorrow's Data Center.' Highlights the challenges customers face when planning to deploy a Cloud...
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
By Rob F. Walker, Ph.D.
In the previous installment, we looked at and discussed strategies for business simulation and the infrastructure needed to make such initiatives successful. Now, we¿re ready to discuss some practical examples of business simulation. Imagine a mail order company selling products together with the necessary financing. more