Microsoft restores access to phones that couldn't access Skype
Affected Skype-certified phones included models from Panasonic and Linksys
IDG News Service - Microsoft has fixed a bug that made it impossible for about a dozen models of Skype-certified phones to log into the popular IM, VoIP and video-conferencing service.
Microsoft said on Thursday it was deploying a solution to the problem, according to a post on Skype's Heartbeat blog, which is devoted to bugs and system problems affecting the service.
"Over the past 24 hours, we have started deploying a fix on our end that resolves the log-in issues. We apologize for the inconvenience," Skype official Jennifer Caukin wrote in the post.
A Skype spokeswoman confirmed via email Friday afternoon that the issue is fully resolved, but declined to comment on what caused the problem and how many users were affected.
The problem apparently started last weekend, according to multiple discussion threads posted in the Other Devices section of the Skype support forum, where affected users flocked to complain about the problem, including some who use Skype for work.
The problem affected Skype-certified phones from vendors including Panasonic, Linksys, GE and Netgear.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts