Microsoft restores access to phones that couldn't access Skype
Affected Skype-certified phones included models from Panasonic and Linksys
IDG News Service - Microsoft has fixed a bug that made it impossible for about a dozen models of Skype-certified phones to log into the popular IM, VoIP and video-conferencing service.
Microsoft said on Thursday it was deploying a solution to the problem, according to a post on Skype's Heartbeat blog, which is devoted to bugs and system problems affecting the service.
"Over the past 24 hours, we have started deploying a fix on our end that resolves the log-in issues. We apologize for the inconvenience," Skype official Jennifer Caukin wrote in the post.
A Skype spokeswoman confirmed via email Friday afternoon that the issue is fully resolved, but declined to comment on what caused the problem and how many users were affected.
The problem apparently started last weekend, according to multiple discussion threads posted in the Other Devices section of the Skype support forum, where affected users flocked to complain about the problem, including some who use Skype for work.
The problem affected Skype-certified phones from vendors including Panasonic, Linksys, GE and Netgear.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Desktop Apps White Papers |