Microsoft restores access to phones that couldn't access Skype
Affected Skype-certified phones included models from Panasonic and Linksys
IDG News Service - Microsoft has fixed a bug that made it impossible for about a dozen models of Skype-certified phones to log into the popular IM, VoIP and video-conferencing service.
Microsoft said on Thursday it was deploying a solution to the problem, according to a post on Skype's Heartbeat blog, which is devoted to bugs and system problems affecting the service.
"Over the past 24 hours, we have started deploying a fix on our end that resolves the log-in issues. We apologize for the inconvenience," Skype official Jennifer Caukin wrote in the post.
A Skype spokeswoman confirmed via email Friday afternoon that the issue is fully resolved, but declined to comment on what caused the problem and how many users were affected.
The problem apparently started last weekend, according to multiple discussion threads posted in the Other Devices section of the Skype support forum, where affected users flocked to complain about the problem, including some who use Skype for work.
The problem affected Skype-certified phones from vendors including Panasonic, Linksys, GE and Netgear.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts