FAQ: How to score an iPad today
Missed the pre-order train? Here's how to get one of Apple's new tablets when they go on sale
Computerworld - After nine days of waiting, customers can get their hands on a new iPad today. Those who jumped on the pre-order train last week will be watching for the delivery truck, but anyone who isn't already on Apple's lengthening wait list will have to hustle if they want an iPad.
So how do you score an iPad? Listen up....
How do I get an iPad with the least effort? Order one from Apple. Sure, that won't put it in your hands today -- the delay between ordering and shipping remains two to three weeks -- but you won't have to lift anything heavier than your credit card.
But I want one now.... How's that going to happen? You can get in line at an Apple store. The good news there is that Apple's own outlets will have the largest stock of iPads to sell. The bad news? You're not the only one who knows that.
According to numerous news reports, lines began forming Thursday outside stores in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and elsewhere. Your mileage, as they say, may vary, but you may encounter crowds or sell-outs.
Apple's stores will open at 8 a.m. local time, an hour or two earlier than usual. So you should already be reading this while you're in line.
Other than Apple, what brick-and-mortar stores will sell the iPad today? In the U.S., the list runs like this: Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sam's Club, Target and Wal-Mart. Inventory will vary by chain -- and within each chain, by store -- so your game plan should start with calling ahead to save yourself the misery of driving from Trenton to Timbuktu, only to return empty-handed.
Some of those stores will beat or at least match Apple's opening hour.
Wal-Mart, for example, told Bloomberg that some stores were going to start selling the 16GB Wi-Fi tablet at 12:01 a.m., and eight hours before Apple. The big box retailer may still have some available by the time you read this.
Wal-Mart's even-bigger-box-store, Sam's Club, which will also have a limited supply, will open at 7 a.m. local time.
Target opens at 8 a.m. in most locations.
Where do I find the those stores? Man, do we have to do everything for you? (Of course we do. So here are links to each chain's store finder.)
- Best Buy
- Radio Shack
- Sam's Club (Note: That page lists the Sam's Club outlets that will stock the new iPad. And an extra bonus ... Sam's will sell each customer up to three tablets, one more than Apple's two-to-a-customer limit.)
- iOS 8 split-screen hints at iPad's enterprise ambition
- Office for iPad apps ring up 27M downloads
- Apple reclaims J.D. Power's top tablet satisfaction prize
- Samsung tablets grab market share from Apple's iPad
- As iPad sales slump, Cook hijacks analysts' fast-uptake explanation
- The iPad's expected ebb, and the search for why
- iPad sales skew even more toward Mini
- Apple's Mac ends up in tablet cannibal pot, too
- The case for an iPad Pro
- Is Apple's 13-in. iPad a desktop for kids?
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!