ZTE demonstrates next-generation optical network at 1.7Tbps
The system used eight channels with over 200Gbps to get there
IDG News Service - Chinese vendor ZTE has conducted a field demonstration of optical networking equipment capable of transporting data at 1.7Tbps, the company said Thursday.
The WDM-based system transported the data using eight channels, each with a capacity of 216.4Gbps, according to ZTE.
WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing), which is mainly used by operators in their core networks, sends large amounts of data using a number different wavelengths or channels over a single optical fiber.
The distance during ZTE's demonstration was 1,750 kilometers (1,087 miles), and the company used a standard single mode fiber optic cable, it said.
ZTE didn't detail when in expects to see products that can handle 200Gbps per channel. The goal with the demo was to show that an "upgrade from a 100Gbps transmission system to a 200Gbps system is possible," the company said.
ZTE isn't the only vendor that has conducted demonstrations to show its prowess when it comes to next-generation WDM systems. Last week, ZTE's Chinese competitor Huawei showed a prototype system that can handle 400Gbps per channel and offer a total capacity of 20Tbps.
Just like ZTE, Huawei didn't have any estimates for when its system will go on sale.
In the real world, operators are today moving to channel speeds at 40Gbps and 100Gbps, according to Infonetics Research. Carriers plan to use both 40Gbps and 100Gbps to the same degree in existing networks, but clearly favor the higher speed when building new networks, the market research company said earlier this year.
The biggest reason for upgrading from today's 10Gbps systems is that operators want to lower the cost per bit, Infonetics wrote.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts