Change Your Facebook Profile Photo
Yet another important Facebook setting that's nearly impossible to find--unless you know where to look.
PC World - I've made no secret of my distaste for Facebook's interface, which is equal parts messy, confusing, and outright maddening.
For example, suppose you want to change your profile photo. Seems like the kind of option you might find in, say, Account Settings. Nope, not there. Privacy Settings? Nuh-uh.
Well, maybe if you click your name to open your profile, you'll find the option there. Let's see... no, there's nothing that says "change profile photo." Oh, here we go, I'll bet if you click Update Info...
Another strike. What's that, now, four?
This is yet another of Facebook's ridiculously obscure settings that's actually hiding in plain sight. (Previous offender: location sharing.) To change your profile photo, do this:
1. Open your profile by clicking your name, either on the left side (below the Facebook logo) or the right edge of the toolbar up top.
2. Mouse over your current photo picture, click Edit Profile Picture, then choose an option (Choose From Photos, Upload Photo, Edit Thumbnail, etc.) from the drop-down menu that appears.
That's right! All this time, the option was right there--provided you hovered your mouse in the right spot. Come on, Facebook, you can do better. (Quick note: If you happened to install one of the Facebook-photo-zoom tools I mentioned the other day, you may find that the pop-up image obscures the Edit Profile Picture tool. Bleh.)
There is, admittedly, another way to go about this. If you want to turn a photo that's already in your Facebook library into your profile picture, you can--but, again, finding the option can be maddening unless you know where to look.
Find the photo you want, then click it to bring up the full-size version in its own window. Now, see that tiny gear icon in the upper-right corner? Click it, and then choose Make Profile Picture. Why there's not a button for this alongside Tag Photo, Add Location, etc. is beyond me.
Contributing Editor Rick Broida writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles at email@example.com, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in the PC World Community Forums. Sign up to have the Hassle-Free PC newsletter e-mailed to you each week.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts