Change Your Facebook Profile Photo
Yet another important Facebook setting that's nearly impossible to find--unless you know where to look.
PC World - I've made no secret of my distaste for Facebook's interface, which is equal parts messy, confusing, and outright maddening.
For example, suppose you want to change your profile photo. Seems like the kind of option you might find in, say, Account Settings. Nope, not there. Privacy Settings? Nuh-uh.
Well, maybe if you click your name to open your profile, you'll find the option there. Let's see... no, there's nothing that says "change profile photo." Oh, here we go, I'll bet if you click Update Info...
Another strike. What's that, now, four?
This is yet another of Facebook's ridiculously obscure settings that's actually hiding in plain sight. (Previous offender: location sharing.) To change your profile photo, do this:
1. Open your profile by clicking your name, either on the left side (below the Facebook logo) or the right edge of the toolbar up top.
2. Mouse over your current photo picture, click Edit Profile Picture, then choose an option (Choose From Photos, Upload Photo, Edit Thumbnail, etc.) from the drop-down menu that appears.
That's right! All this time, the option was right there--provided you hovered your mouse in the right spot. Come on, Facebook, you can do better. (Quick note: If you happened to install one of the Facebook-photo-zoom tools I mentioned the other day, you may find that the pop-up image obscures the Edit Profile Picture tool. Bleh.)
There is, admittedly, another way to go about this. If you want to turn a photo that's already in your Facebook library into your profile picture, you can--but, again, finding the option can be maddening unless you know where to look.
Find the photo you want, then click it to bring up the full-size version in its own window. Now, see that tiny gear icon in the upper-right corner? Click it, and then choose Make Profile Picture. Why there's not a button for this alongside Tag Photo, Add Location, etc. is beyond me.
Contributing Editor Rick Broida writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles at firstname.lastname@example.org, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in the PC World Community Forums. Sign up to have the Hassle-Free PC newsletter e-mailed to you each week.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts