Samsung starts upgrading Galaxy S II to Android 4.0
Users in Poland, Hungary, and Sweden will be the first to get the Android Ice Cream Sandwich update
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has started upgrading its Galaxy S II smartphone to Android 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich, the company said on Tuesday.
The upgrade will begin in European countries including Poland, Hungary, and Sweden, as well as Korea today, and then gradually roll out to other markets, as well.
The company isn't releasing any details for countries like the U.S. and France. But it seems that users in the U.K. won't have to wait for too long. The upgrade will be available from next week, but the actual arrival date for users will be dependent upon each operator's own software approvals process, according to Samsung U.K.
The Android 4.0 software upgrade for Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy R, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, 7.7, 8.9, 8.9 LTE and 10.1 will follow soon, Samsung said without elaborating on actual dates.
About five months after Google launched Android 4.0 and the Galaxy Nexus, which was developed by Google and Samsung, the operating system is starting to take off with upgrades of existing phones as well as new products
Besides upgrading existing products, Samsung has also announced a number of new products that will use the latest version of Google's operating system, including the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) and Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1).
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!