Marvel hopes to give comic books a boost with augmented reality content
Extra content will include new footage and commentary from the creators
IDG News Service - Next month Marvel Comics is releasing a new application that will add augmented reality content to some of its comic books, the company announced on Sunday at the SXSW Interactive conference in Austin, Texas.
Augmented reality allows computer-generated content to be superimposed over a live camera view of the real world. There are different ways to do this but the technology Marvel will use relies on image detection, and has been developed by Aurasma.
The necessary Marvel AR app will be released in April for Apple's iPhones and iPad as well as smartphones and tablets, the comic book publisher said in a statement.
By opening the application and holding the device in front of compatible comic book page, users will able to unlock free extra content including new footage and commentary from creators, according to Marvel.
Compatible comic book pages will be tagged with an AR logo, and the augmented reality content will be included with titles such as Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine and Hulk, Marvel said.
North American comic book sales have had ups and downs in the last decade. Last year, 72.1 million comic books were sold, a step up from the 69.2 million copies sold in 2010. That's still not close to the 85.3 million copies sold in 2007, according to data from Comics Chronicles.
The comic book hasn't changed much, but augmented reality will expand the reading experience and add more value, according to Marvel.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!