China's top video sites, Youku and Tudou, agree to merge
The merger is expected to allow the companies to save money on securing content deals for TV shows and movies
IDG News Service - China's two leading video sites, Youku and Tudou, announced on Monday the companies would merge, creating the country's largest online video platform and dealing a blow to the companies' rivals.
Under the agreement, Tudou will combine with Youku, according to joint a statement. The new company will be named Youku Tudou Inc, and the merger is expected to close in this year's third quarter. Tudou will retain its brand and video platform.
For years, the companies had competed as China's top two video sites, but with neither dominating the market. Together, the companies will have a 35.5 percent share of revenues generated from China's online video market, according to Beijing-based research firm Analysys International.
Unlike YouTube, which relies on user-generated content, China's online videos sites have grown dependent on purchasing TV and movie licensing deals in order to attract visitors. "It's become a content arms race," said Mark Natkin, managing director for Beijing-based Marbridge Consulting.
China's Internet censor has blocked YouTube in the country since March 23, 2009.
While both Youku and Tudou were fierce competitors in the past, joining forces will allow the companies to save money in securing content deals, Natkin added. "Getting the best content is expensive," he said. "With a combined company, they only need to spend just once to get the content."
Both companies have also been faced with high bandwidth costs in order to host their vast libraries of videos. Last year, Youku had a net loss of $27.3 million, while Tudou posted a net loss of $81.2 million.
China's online video sites have 283 million users, according to the China Internet Network Information Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts