Microsoft to shut down app store for old phone platform
In May, Windows Mobile users will no longer be able to download apps from the Marketplace
IDG News Service - Microsoft will soon shut down the app store for Windows Mobile, the phone platform it is phasing out.
Starting May 9, users of Windows Mobile phones won't be able to browse, buy or download apps to their phones from the Marketplace, Microsoft wrote in a letter to customers. The move doesn't affect users of Microsoft's new mobile OS, who will continue to be served by the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Applications already downloaded from the old market will continue to work after May 9, and some publishers might continue to offer their apps through other markets or their own websites, Microsoft said. It cautioned users that if they do a hard reset and delete apps on their phone, they won't be able to download them again from the Marketplace.
The move is a milestone in a transition that has seen Windows Mobile's share of the smartphone market decline from 37% in 2006 to 3% last year, according to research from NPD Group.
Microsoft's new mobile operating system, Windows Phone, has yet to pick up the slack. It had 3% of the smartphone market in October last year, NPD found.
Microsoft's Windows Phone app store has 65,000 apps.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts