Microsoft to shut down app store for old phone platform
In May, Windows Mobile users will no longer be able to download apps from the Marketplace
IDG News Service - Microsoft will soon shut down the app store for Windows Mobile, the phone platform it is phasing out.
Starting May 9, users of Windows Mobile phones won't be able to browse, buy or download apps to their phones from the Marketplace, Microsoft wrote in a letter to customers. The move doesn't affect users of Microsoft's new mobile OS, who will continue to be served by the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Applications already downloaded from the old market will continue to work after May 9, and some publishers might continue to offer their apps through other markets or their own websites, Microsoft said. It cautioned users that if they do a hard reset and delete apps on their phone, they won't be able to download them again from the Marketplace.
The move is a milestone in a transition that has seen Windows Mobile's share of the smartphone market decline from 37% in 2006 to 3% last year, according to research from NPD Group.
Microsoft's new mobile operating system, Windows Phone, has yet to pick up the slack. It had 3% of the smartphone market in October last year, NPD found.
Microsoft's Windows Phone app store has 65,000 apps.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!