Spam leads Google to disable interop of its IM network with AOL AIM
AOL is expecting to have the problem fixed soon, possibly as early as Thursday
IDG News Service - AOL hopes to roll out a fix soon to a spam surge in its AIM service targeting Google IM users, a situation that prompted Google to temporarily shut down the interoperability between the two instant messaging networks.
Google suspended the IM federation between its IM network and AIM about a week and a half ago in order to shield Gmail Chat and Google Talk users from the high level of AIM spam.
"Our backend servers were sending too many spam messages to Google federation gateways," said Christian Crumlish, senior director of messaging products at AOL.
AOL has been working intensely on the problem and expects to roll out a fix maybe as soon as Thursday. "It's a serious enough problem that we had to pull a number of people off of what they were working on," he said.
Once the problem is fixed and the interoperability restored, Google and AIM users will again be able to engage in IM sessions, each communicating from their respective networks.
Without the IM federation of the two networks, people would need to have separate accounts for both services, using the Google account to communicate with users on Google's network and the AIM account for communicating with users on the AIM network.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts