Spam leads Google to disable interop of its IM network with AOL AIM
AOL is expecting to have the problem fixed soon, possibly as early as Thursday
IDG News Service - AOL hopes to roll out a fix soon to a spam surge in its AIM service targeting Google IM users, a situation that prompted Google to temporarily shut down the interoperability between the two instant messaging networks.
Google suspended the IM federation between its IM network and AIM about a week and a half ago in order to shield Gmail Chat and Google Talk users from the high level of AIM spam.
"Our backend servers were sending too many spam messages to Google federation gateways," said Christian Crumlish, senior director of messaging products at AOL.
AOL has been working intensely on the problem and expects to roll out a fix maybe as soon as Thursday. "It's a serious enough problem that we had to pull a number of people off of what they were working on," he said.
Once the problem is fixed and the interoperability restored, Google and AIM users will again be able to engage in IM sessions, each communicating from their respective networks.
Without the IM federation of the two networks, people would need to have separate accounts for both services, using the Google account to communicate with users on Google's network and the AIM account for communicating with users on the AIM network.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!