Twitter exec calls tweets the 'ultimate business intelligence tool'
At CITE conference, Mike Brown also praises media mogul Rupert Murdoch for authentic tweets
Computerworld - SAN FRANCISCO -- Twitter is no longer about tweeting what you ate for breakfast, and it's poised to get more innovative in how it tracks your activity and serves up data analytics.
Mike Brown, director of corporate development at Twitter, spoke at the CITE Conference here today, expounding on how the social network is really "the ultimate business intelligence tool."
Because of Twitter's ability to offer insight into what customers and competitors are saying about each other, customizing the site to offer that data in a more targeted way can help users shape and market their products.
Brown also offered a surprising insight into one of his favorite tweeters, and how it's an example of how more companies should use Twitter.
"One of my favorite Twitter accounts, ...because he just joined recently, is Rupert Murdoch," Brown said. "Whether you subscribe to his politics or not, the guy tells it like he thinks it and you really get that sense when you read his tweets.
"I think whether you're a brand or a marketer or a small business owner, [you need] to talk with an authentic voice that feels like your own, [one] your customers know," he said. "Your customer's BS meter is pretty good. Don't hand off your Twitter to your PR agency or even an intern who's going to be with your business for a short while."
Brown, who is in charge of Twitter's mergers and acquisitions, its corporate strategy and business operations, said the company needs to take more risks to be user friendly. He admitted the move may not be welcome by "hard-core, old-school" users, but said Twitter needs to be more accessible to new users.
For example, Brown referred to Twitter's current interface as "command line" style, which he believes is in need of upgrade to a more GUI-style interface that could follow news threads all around a specific topic.
"This isn't the voice of Twitter speaking, this is my personal opinion, but we have an opportunity to up-level the chatter on Twitter to share a story in photo, in video and in narrative that helps people understand the story and if they want more detail they can dig into it and see what the conversation is behind the story," he said.
One of the ways in which Twitter plans to grow its services and revenue is through real-time data analytics about three key audience segments: advertisers; "very important tweeters" (VITs) such as celebrities; and third-party application developers.
Each of those Twitter audiences has unique analytics needs, and Twitter plans to help them grow their presence, build their brands and understand the efficacy of what they're sharing on Twitter. "I'd say we're in the second or third inning of the ball game. We've got a long ways to go to get our analytics to where it needs to be," Brown said.
Consumerization of IT
- There's still a security disconnect on BYOD
- Why CIOs Shouldn't Block Rogue Cloud Apps
- Field Notes: 'Rogue' employees want IT to lighten up already
- IT shops losing control over technology
- Consumerization of IT in the enterprise starting to pay off
- With BYOD smartphones on the rise, IT headaches will become migraines
- Apple plays defense and offense with free software, upgrade strategies
- The three extremes of corporate BYOD policies
- IT departments won't exist in five years
- The time is right for an 'IT petting zoo'
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Mitigate Risk and Accelerate Time to Value Download this white paper to learn how your IT organization can accelerate business, introduce new services, and reach new markets, all while staying...
- Allay Risks in Application Rationalization and Modernization IT has to do it all: react quickly to market needs, introduce new services, capitalize on mobile, and comply with regulatory requirements, all...
- Delivering Application Data On-Demand Packaged app dev teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to various constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, Delphix-powered teams can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts