Apple wins an injunction against Motorola in German court
The judge grants Apple's request related to a patent for device photo management
IDG News Service - Apple has won an injunction potentially requiring Motorola Mobility to recall infringing smartphones, in the two companies' ongoing patent battle in Germany, according to a blogger following the case.
Presiding Judge Peter Guntz granted Apple the injunction on Thursday, according to Florian Mueller, a patent analyst who writes the FOSS Patents blog. Apple has accused Motorola of infringing its patent for a portable electronic device for photo management.
The ruling relates to a software feature associated with some functions when viewing photos in a zoomed-in mode, Motorola said in a statement. "We note that the court ruled that performing the functions in a 'zoomed out' mode does not infringe on this patent," the company said. "We expect no impact to supply or future sales as we have already implemented a new way to view photos on our products that does not interfere with the user experience."
A Apple did not respond to a request for comments on the ruling.
Apple could require Motorola to destroy or recall infringing devices, Mueller wrote on his blog. However, Motorola "will undoubtedly be able to keep selling its products in Germany by modifying its operating software," he wrote.
Apple and Motorola, which is being acquired by Google, have been engaged in a patent infringement fight stretching from the U.S. to Europe for several months.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts