Facebook acquires staff behind file-transfer startup
Facebook is only acquiring the people, and not the company and its technology
IDG News Service - Facebook has acquired the team behind file-transfer startup Caffeinated Mind, which offered an on-demand peer-to-peer file sharing system.
The staff from Caffeinated Mind will work on tools that will help Facebook employees share files internally, and will not be working on a file sharing service for consumers, a spokesman said on Wednesday.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Facebook is only acquiring the people, and not the company and the technology.
Starting with Sendoid, the file transfer system, Caffeinated Mind in California started to tackle big data transfer problems for enterprises with a tool called Expresso.
"We can't think of a better place to continue this journey than Facebook, where we'll be developing internal tools to improve the inner workings of the company and product, applying our technical and product expertise to their rapidly growing service," Caffeinated Mind said on its website.
Over the next two weeks, Caffeinated Mind said it will be winding down Sendoid and closing the corporate pilot for Expresso. It reassured users that it has purged all transfer history logs on its servers, and does not retain their personal data.
On the Sendoid site, Caffeinated Mind said Sendoid's web interface will be disabled on March 7, though users of the Sendoid desktop application will have services through March 14.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Broadband White Papers | Webcasts