Update: Facebook woos businesses with redesigned business pages, Timeline
Starting today, companies can update to new Timeline feature on their Brand pages
Computerworld - Just a few months before Facebook launches its initial public offering, the social networking company Wednesday turned its attention to wooing the enterprise.
At its fMC (Facebook Marketing Conference) event in New York City, Facebook executives talked to an audience of business users about the power of social media, the changes Facebook has made to its Brand pages and how marketing is changing in the era of social networking.
"The power of the individual voice is not new," said Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's chief operating officer. "The difference now is that so many people can have a voice that scales ... We believe that marketing will become truly social. Your customers are listening and your customers are talking. Engage them."
Earlier Wednesday, Facebook announced that companies and organizations that have Brand pages on Facebook are not only getting a new look and new features, they'll also be able to update their pages to use Facebook's new Timeline.
The social network touted the news of the redesigned Brand Pages on The Today Show Wednesday morning, and the morning TV show revealing its own "facelift" of its Facebook brand page.
The various branches of the U.S. Armed Forces also have updated their Brand pages to take advantage of the Timeline, as well as other new features.
One of the biggest themes to Facebook's event was telling business users that marketing is on the cusp of making a huge change. No longer is advertising alone going to cut it. In the age of social media, companies need to tell stories, according to Mike Hoefflinger, director of global business marketing at Facebook.
Today, companies need to tell stories about how customers are benefitting from their products and services. And they need to get those stories out to their biggest fans, as well as to potential customers.
"Facebook Pages is mission control for you business on Facebook," said Hoefflinger. "It's the place for your identity, your stories."
He also noted that Facebook is coming out with new features such as Reach Generator, a service for business users geared to getting their company's best stories in front of the most people. The Reach Generator, which is a premium ad distribution system, is designed to get a user's ads in front of 50% of the company's fans' eyes each week, instead of the usual 16%. Using the premium service, a business has the possibility of getting its most important posts in news feeds and on users' logout screens.
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
- Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts