HP cuts 275 jobs as webOS transitions to open-source
HP plans to release the entire operating system to the open-source community by September
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has cut 275 jobs in its webOS group, as part of its strategy to turn the operating system over to the open-source community, a source said Tuesday.
HP said last year that it would stop making devices that use the operating system which was developed by Palm for phones and tablets, and later decided to release the software under the Apache License 2.0. HP had acquired Palm in 2010.
As webOS continues the transition to open-source software, HP no longer needs many of the engineering and other related positions that it required before, the company said in a statement on Tuesday. "This creates a smaller and more nimble team that is well-equipped to deliver an open source webOS and sustain HP's commitment to the software over the long term," it added.
HP said it is working to redeploy employees affected by the changes to other roles at the company.
The company said in January that it plans to contribute the full code base of webOS to the open-source community by September, and would make individual elements of the source code available, from core applications like Mail and Calendar to its Linux kernel, in the first half of the year.
In the beginning, all committers, as distinct from public users and contributors, will come from HP, according to a post on the webOS developer blog said. The PMCs will use a system of meritocracy as a guide for adding contributors as the project progresses. "The path of progressing from public user to contributor to committer is based largely upon user involvement in the community," it said.
HP released Enyo to the open source community in January, followed by some more components of the operating system in February.
[James Niccolai in San Francisco contributed to this report]
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!