Microsoft, Hortonworks to link Excel and Hadoop
IDG News Service - Microsoft is developing a connector that will allow Excel users to download and analyze output from Hadoop, potentially opening the open-source data processing platform to a much wider audience.
Microsoft is working on the connector with Hortonworks, a Yahoo spinoff that offers a Hadoop distribution and commercial support services.
"What makes this announcement significant is that Microsoft is opening up Apache Hadoop to literally millions of new users," said Hortonworks CTO Eric Baldeschwieler. "There are many more millions of Excel and PowerPivot users that can now derive value from Apache Hadoop using software that is already very familiar to them."
The connector was among several Hadoop-related open-source projects that Microsoft and Hortonworks announced Tuesday at the O'Reilly Strata Data Conference, being held this week in Santa Clara, California. The two companies formed a partnership last year to adapt Hadoop to the Windows ecosystem.
The connector will be an ODBC (Online Database Connector) that interacts with Hadoop through the Hive data warehouse system. Users will be able to analyze data downloaded from Hive in Excel, using tools such as Excel PowerPivot.
"Microsoft's ODBC driver for Hive is something they've built so that Excel, Power Pivot and other Microsoft tools can connect to Hadoop (via Hive) more easily," said Shaun Connolly, Hortonworks vice president of corporate strategy, via email. "Hortonworks is focused on working with Microsoft to bring this technology into open source so it can be more widely available to and used by the Apache Hadoop community,"
Microsoft has already taken some efforts to embed Hadoop in its ecosystem. The company has released a Hadoop connector for SQL Server. It also offers connectivity to an instance of Hadoop on its Azure cloud service, currently as a developer preview.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100...
- Cisco Collaboration for Midsize Business Learn what Cisco Collaboration Solutions can do for your midsize business. In this 2-minute video, see how collaboration tools can make your business... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!