Pope to set up Twitter account
With a longtime YouTube channel and a Web site, the Vatican now is turning to Twitter
Computerworld - The Pope Benedict XVI is showing his technical savvy.
And now, Pope Benedict is launching a Twitter account, according to a report in the The Guardian. According to the U.K.-based newspaper, the Pontiff won't always personally write the tweets, but will approve all of them.
The Vatican has not announced the Pope's Twitter handle or when the account will be launched.
"The tweet can be reformulated, redistributed, relaunched and disseminated," Father Claudio Maria Celli, head of the Vatican's pontifical council for social communications, told the Guardian. "In this sense, it is like the gospel, a small mustard seed that once scattered grows into bushes where birds can rest."
The Vatican is far from new to social networking.
The Vatican first launched its Web site 16 years ago and launched the channel on YouTube about three years ago.
The YouTube channel was set up to offer daily updates, video and audio clips of the Pope's addresses, and news about the pontiff.
And a little more than two years ago, the Pope urged priests around the globe to use social media to reach out to congregants and potential believers.
The Pope himself released a message in January of 2010, encouraging priests to use computers and social media to take their ministry online. He encouraged priests to use blogs, Web sites, video and images, along with their traditional communication methods.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!