Pope to set up Twitter account
With a longtime YouTube channel and a Web site, the Vatican now is turning to Twitter
Computerworld - The Pope Benedict XVI is showing his technical savvy.
And now, Pope Benedict is launching a Twitter account, according to a report in the The Guardian. According to the U.K.-based newspaper, the Pontiff won't always personally write the tweets, but will approve all of them.
The Vatican has not announced the Pope's Twitter handle or when the account will be launched.
"The tweet can be reformulated, redistributed, relaunched and disseminated," Father Claudio Maria Celli, head of the Vatican's pontifical council for social communications, told the Guardian. "In this sense, it is like the gospel, a small mustard seed that once scattered grows into bushes where birds can rest."
The Vatican is far from new to social networking.
The Vatican first launched its Web site 16 years ago and launched the channel on YouTube about three years ago.
The YouTube channel was set up to offer daily updates, video and audio clips of the Pope's addresses, and news about the pontiff.
And a little more than two years ago, the Pope urged priests around the globe to use social media to reach out to congregants and potential believers.
The Pope himself released a message in January of 2010, encouraging priests to use computers and social media to take their ministry online. He encouraged priests to use blogs, Web sites, video and images, along with their traditional communication methods.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!