Skype for Windows Phone arrives in beta version
The final version will arrive in April
IDG News Service - Windows Phone users now have access to the Skype Internet calling service.
The "gold version" of the application will be available in April. The beta has been tested and certified for Nokia's Lumia 710 and Lumia 800, HTC's Titan and Radar, and Samsung's Focus S and Focus Flash.
With the Skype for Windows Phone beta users can make free audio and video calls -- excluding potential data charges -- to their Skype contacts over 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi, as long as it is allowed by the operator. When making video calls Skype recommends using a Wi-Fi connection.
A video on YouTube shows how Skype has adapted its user interface to fit with Windows Phone.
Users can also make calls to landlines and mobiles by first paying for Skype Credit. Other features allow users to create and hold group chats, and update their profile and account information.
"This is only the beginning for Skype for Windows Phone...it's just going to get better and better," the blog post said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- QuickPoll: What will be the biggest change to smartphones this year?
- Broadcom readies chips optimized for Android 4.0
- Wi-Fi, small cells could disrupt mobile
- Altair Semiconductor finds a place among mobile innovators
- Nvidia expects to do well in Windows-on-ARM race
- More smartphones are getting HD Voice
- Microsoft shows Windows on ARM tablet designs
- Windows on ARM will be 'huge,' exec says
- Nokia aims to appeal to developers
- Google once considered issuing currency
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts