Skype for Windows Phone arrives in beta version
The final version will arrive in April
IDG News Service - Windows Phone users now have access to the Skype Internet calling service.
The "gold version" of the application will be available in April. The beta has been tested and certified for Nokia's Lumia 710 and Lumia 800, HTC's Titan and Radar, and Samsung's Focus S and Focus Flash.
With the Skype for Windows Phone beta users can make free audio and video calls -- excluding potential data charges -- to their Skype contacts over 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi, as long as it is allowed by the operator. When making video calls Skype recommends using a Wi-Fi connection.
A video on YouTube shows how Skype has adapted its user interface to fit with Windows Phone.
Users can also make calls to landlines and mobiles by first paying for Skype Credit. Other features allow users to create and hold group chats, and update their profile and account information.
"This is only the beginning for Skype for Windows Phone...it's just going to get better and better," the blog post said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- QuickPoll: What will be the biggest change to smartphones this year?
- Broadcom readies chips optimized for Android 4.0
- Wi-Fi, small cells could disrupt mobile
- Altair Semiconductor finds a place among mobile innovators
- Nvidia expects to do well in Windows-on-ARM race
- More smartphones are getting HD Voice
- Microsoft shows Windows on ARM tablet designs
- Windows on ARM will be 'huge,' exec says
- Nokia aims to appeal to developers
- Google once considered issuing currency
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!