Mobile carrier CEOs tout partnerships
Mobile operators need to work with developers, wireline operators and others, executives said
IDG News Service - Mobile operators highlighted cooperation with developers and other partners, while emphasizing things only they can do, in a keynote session on the opening day of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Vodafone Group CEO Vittorio Colao announced a partnership with Visa to develop a mobile wallet that uses NFC (near-field communications) to allow consumers to make purchases with their phones. It will become available first in the U.K., Portugal, Germany, the Netherlands and Turkey and is intended for use worldwide, Colao said.
Both Colao and Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility, called for standards and progress on RCS (rich communications services), especially video calling. De la Vega challenged the industry to make it just as easy to place a video call as a voice or data call. He said the industry should rally around the IR.94 standard to make this possible by the time of next year's Mobile World Congress.
Open standards and interoperability are what distinguish telecommunications carriers from the Internet companies that create "over-the-top" (OTT) services that are delivered on mobile operators' networks, said Franco Bernabe, chairman and CEO of Telecom Italia Group. Those Internet services often use proprietary standards and don't interoperate with other service providers, he said. "This hinders competition," Bernabe said.
Bernabe even accused OTT service providers of overloading mobile networks with the signaling produced by their applications. That can degrade the user's experience, he said.
China Mobile is opening up its mobile platform to developers, through programs in which it works with more than 2,000 universities, 30 million students and 3.7 million registered developers, China Mobile President Li Yue said. The carrier offers developers 30 percent of the revenue from applications they develop for its MM platform, he said.
The executives pointed to the growing need for data capacity to meet subscribers' demands. Colao of Vodafone also said his company wants to partner with wireline carriers on better wired networks to improve the capacity for mobile backhaul. Vodafone has offered to jointly invest in wired networks with Europe's largest wireline carriers and so far has not found one willing to cooperate, but will keep trying, he said.
- QuickPoll: What will be the biggest change to smartphones this year?
- Broadcom readies chips optimized for Android 4.0
- Wi-Fi, small cells could disrupt mobile
- Altair Semiconductor finds a place among mobile innovators
- Nvidia expects to do well in Windows-on-ARM race
- More smartphones are getting HD Voice
- Microsoft shows Windows on ARM tablet designs
- Windows on ARM will be 'huge,' exec says
- Nokia aims to appeal to developers
- Google once considered issuing currency
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts