Samsung returns with a new projector phone
The phone can shoot videos at 720p and project them on a 50-inch screen
IDG News Service - Samsung has launched the Beam, an Android 2.3-based smartphone that comes with an integrated projector that can project a 50-inch high-definition image, the company said on Sunday.
This isn't the first time that Samsung has tried to convince consumers that putting a projector in a smartphone is a good idea. A similar product, which was also called the Beam, was launched in 2010.
The technology has now matured to the point where it makes sense to announce a new model, a spokesman at Samsung said.
The smartphone has a projector-dedicated application which is used to select content and activate projection in a few steps, according to Samsung.
Besides the projector, the Beam has a very ordinary hardware specification. The device is powered by a dual-core processor at 1GHz and it has 8 GB of storage plus a MicroSD slot. The screen measures 4 inches and has an 800-by-480 pixels resolution.
One part of the specification that does stand out is the Beam's 6 GB of RAM.
For users that want to project their own content there is a 5-megapixel camera that can shoot movies at 720p, according to Samsung.
The phone weighs 145 grams and is 12.5 millimeters thick.
In Sweden, the phone will start shipping in July and cost about 3,760 Swedish kronor (US$570) without taxes and possible subsidies. The company didn't immediately provide availability or cost information for other parts of the world.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- QuickPoll: What will be the biggest change to smartphones this year?
- Broadcom readies chips optimized for Android 4.0
- Wi-Fi, small cells could disrupt mobile
- Altair Semiconductor finds a place among mobile innovators
- Nvidia expects to do well in Windows-on-ARM race
- More smartphones are getting HD Voice
- Microsoft shows Windows on ARM tablet designs
- Windows on ARM will be 'huge,' exec says
- Nokia aims to appeal to developers
- Google once considered issuing currency
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts