Dell releases next-gen 10GbE storage arrays
Company upgrades software to include snaphots of Linux, VMware, HyperV server farms
Computerworld - Dell EqualLogic announced the next generation of its 10Gbps Ethernet storage arrays, the PS6110 and PS4110 Series, which are tailored for using the iSCSI protocol to take advantage of traditional LANs for storage traffic.
The company also announced new EqualLogic Host Integration Tools software updates for Microsoft Server 2008 and Linux that allow admins to take data snapshots of server clusters and see their entire storage environment from a single console.
Dell EqualLogic's upgraded storage arrays are a follow-up to the company's first sub-$10,000 midrange arrays, the PS4100 and PS6100 lines, which were announced last fall. Neither of the new arrays meets that same sub-$10,000 price tag.
The new Dell EqualLogic PS6110 Series is positioned as a mid-range array for data centers with multiple physical or virtual servers. The arrays are configured with both optical (SFP+) and copper (10GBASE-T) 10GbE networking. They can scale up to 72TB in a single array and 1.2 petabytes in a single cluster.
The new EqualLogic PS4110 Series is Dell's first entry-level array with 10GbE ports. Its features are similar to the PS6110 Series, but it is designed for smaller deployments and remote office locations. The systems support up to 36TB in a single array and 72TB in a single group.
The arrays also support Data Center Bridging technology, which performs I/O load-balancing and throttling to deter network saturation that could result in performance slowdowns and dropped data packets. "The technology means you're better able to put different types of traffic on your traditional network," said Travis Vigil, a product marketing executive for Dell EqualLogic.
Network convergence is big business for Dell. The iSCSI protocol represents a $3 billion market today of which Dell claims 30%. Enabling iSCSI to run over either copper or fiber networks is key to allowing users to tap their existing infrastructures without having to deploy more expensive Fibre Channel networks.
"Since the acquisition of EqualLogic in 2007, we've scaled from 8,000 units to 80,000 units in [the] field today," Vigil said. "We expect to see the adoption of 10GbE to increase with the trends we're seeing in the data center."
The Dell EqualLogic software portfolio includes more extensive management software, integration tools for VMware, and new versions of Host Integration Tools for Microsoft and Host Integration Tools for Linux. Those integration tools give users automated data tiering across varying drive types and I/O load-balancing capabilities.
Laz Vekiarides, executive director of software engineering for Dell EqualLogic, said the software upgrade allows a single management console for managing snapshots across server clusters, both physical and virtual.
"For example, we will do snapshot of all servers using HyperV. Before, it had to be done manually on each server, forcing you to take 16 different snapshots for 16-node cluster," he said. "This also brings a completely new use case to the Linux server community."
Pricing for the PS6110 starts at around $39,000 and the PS4110 starts at around $18,700. Both include three-years of Dell ProSupport services.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!