Apple to open another data center in Oregon
Apple has purchased a 160 acre sprawl for $5.6 million
IDG News Service - Apple has bought a vast sprawl of land in Prineville, Oregon, where it will open a data center, the company said on Wednesday.
The data center will be built on a 160-acre piece of land that Apple bought for $5.6 million. The purchase was first reported by news channel KTVZ earlier this week.
Apple did not provide further details on what it plans to do with the data center, but the company already offers online services such as iCloud through existing data centers. The company last year opened a data center in Maiden, North Carolina, as an iCloud backbone and invested over $500 million in the facility.
Prineville, which is located in central Oregon, has a temperate climate that makes it a good place for data centers, said Dan Olds, principal analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group, which is in Beaverton, Oregon.
The temperature is usually cool at night, providing a natural air conditioner that helps cut power and cooling costs, he said.
The land is cheap and so is the power, with multiple dams on the Columbia river generating plenty of hydropower, Olds said.
Facebook opened its first custom data center in Prineville, and the data center employs energy-efficient cooling designs, like an evaporative cooling system to chill incoming air.
A recent environmental progress report highlighted some environmentally friendly cooling techniques employed by Apple in its data centers. For the data center in Maiden, Apple is building a solar array and a fuel-cell installation that will be powered by biogas. The data center takes advantage of cool air, and uses a water storage system to improve chiller efficiency.
Some other top companies, including Google and Amazon have data centers in Oregon.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts