Apple to open another data center in Oregon
Apple has purchased a 160 acre sprawl for $5.6 million
IDG News Service - Apple has bought a vast sprawl of land in Prineville, Oregon, where it will open a data center, the company said on Wednesday.
The data center will be built on a 160-acre piece of land that Apple bought for $5.6 million. The purchase was first reported by news channel KTVZ earlier this week.
Apple did not provide further details on what it plans to do with the data center, but the company already offers online services such as iCloud through existing data centers. The company last year opened a data center in Maiden, North Carolina, as an iCloud backbone and invested over $500 million in the facility.
Prineville, which is located in central Oregon, has a temperate climate that makes it a good place for data centers, said Dan Olds, principal analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group, which is in Beaverton, Oregon.
The temperature is usually cool at night, providing a natural air conditioner that helps cut power and cooling costs, he said.
The land is cheap and so is the power, with multiple dams on the Columbia river generating plenty of hydropower, Olds said.
Facebook opened its first custom data center in Prineville, and the data center employs energy-efficient cooling designs, like an evaporative cooling system to chill incoming air.
A recent environmental progress report highlighted some environmentally friendly cooling techniques employed by Apple in its data centers. For the data center in Maiden, Apple is building a solar array and a fuel-cell installation that will be powered by biogas. The data center takes advantage of cool air, and uses a water storage system to improve chiller efficiency.
Some other top companies, including Google and Amazon have data centers in Oregon.
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Bridging the Gap Between Business and IT There's a growing gap between business users and IT services. Differences between what users want and what IT can provide are driving a...
- Lighting Up Dark Data Only a quarter of stored data has clear business value-and given the costs and complexity of today's storage environments, that's an alarming statistic....
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!