Apple to open another data center in Oregon
Apple has purchased a 160 acre sprawl for $5.6 million
IDG News Service - Apple has bought a vast sprawl of land in Prineville, Oregon, where it will open a data center, the company said on Wednesday.
The data center will be built on a 160-acre piece of land that Apple bought for $5.6 million. The purchase was first reported by news channel KTVZ earlier this week.
Apple did not provide further details on what it plans to do with the data center, but the company already offers online services such as iCloud through existing data centers. The company last year opened a data center in Maiden, North Carolina, as an iCloud backbone and invested over $500 million in the facility.
Prineville, which is located in central Oregon, has a temperate climate that makes it a good place for data centers, said Dan Olds, principal analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group, which is in Beaverton, Oregon.
The temperature is usually cool at night, providing a natural air conditioner that helps cut power and cooling costs, he said.
The land is cheap and so is the power, with multiple dams on the Columbia river generating plenty of hydropower, Olds said.
Facebook opened its first custom data center in Prineville, and the data center employs energy-efficient cooling designs, like an evaporative cooling system to chill incoming air.
A recent environmental progress report highlighted some environmentally friendly cooling techniques employed by Apple in its data centers. For the data center in Maiden, Apple is building a solar array and a fuel-cell installation that will be powered by biogas. The data center takes advantage of cool air, and uses a water storage system to improve chiller efficiency.
Some other top companies, including Google and Amazon have data centers in Oregon.
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
Best Practices in Enterprise Data Governance
This paper explores the challenges organizations have today in implementing a data
governance program via an actual business case. It highlights SAS technology that
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Launching Your DG Program From failing to define data governance, to premature launch, or expecting too much from a sponsor, this white paper explains ten common mistakes...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!