Amazon cloud service automates business processes
Network World - Amazon's newest offering, announced Wednesday, is designed to ease application development and automate business processes.
Amazon Web Services' Simple Workflow Service (SWF) is a portal for developers to build and run cloud-based or on-premise business automation applications.
READ: BSA: The world is not yet cloud friendlyA
SWF could be used by businesses, for example, to smooth the flow of steps involved in an e-commerce transaction, such as charging a credit card, arranging for an item to be shipped, tracking the shipment, restocking inventory and so on, as Amazon describes in a blog post. The service can also be used to run data analytics functions that have multiple steps, or could be used to automate the transferring of data to the cloud, Amazon said.
SWF can run either on an enterprise's servers or through Amazon's infrastructure as a service (IaaS) cloud offerings, including its Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service. Any programming language can be used.
The service is billed on a per-use basis, measured by the number of workflow executions developers run, and limited use of the product is free. Early adopters include RightScale, NASA and Sage Bionetworks.
Amazon is not the first company to offer business automation and application development services, but some reports have indicated that SWF is an effort by Amazon to expand from its IaaS products, to offering enterprise software services.
Network World staff writer Brandon Butler covers cloud computing and social media. He can be reached at BButler@nww.com and found on Twitter at @BButlerNWW.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service Modern organizations are under intense pressure to provide accurate, reliable, and speedy financial information to business decision-makers. Furthermore, complying with global standards has...
- Cloud for Business Managers in Midsize Organizations: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Read this independent research report to learn how business managers around the world are using Cloud applications.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts