Amazon cloud service automates business processes
Network World - Amazon's newest offering, announced Wednesday, is designed to ease application development and automate business processes.
Amazon Web Services' Simple Workflow Service (SWF) is a portal for developers to build and run cloud-based or on-premise business automation applications.
READ: BSA: The world is not yet cloud friendlyA
SWF could be used by businesses, for example, to smooth the flow of steps involved in an e-commerce transaction, such as charging a credit card, arranging for an item to be shipped, tracking the shipment, restocking inventory and so on, as Amazon describes in a blog post. The service can also be used to run data analytics functions that have multiple steps, or could be used to automate the transferring of data to the cloud, Amazon said.
SWF can run either on an enterprise's servers or through Amazon's infrastructure as a service (IaaS) cloud offerings, including its Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service. Any programming language can be used.
The service is billed on a per-use basis, measured by the number of workflow executions developers run, and limited use of the product is free. Early adopters include RightScale, NASA and Sage Bionetworks.
Amazon is not the first company to offer business automation and application development services, but some reports have indicated that SWF is an effort by Amazon to expand from its IaaS products, to offering enterprise software services.
Network World staff writer Brandon Butler covers cloud computing and social media. He can be reached at BButler@nww.com and found on Twitter at @BButlerNWW.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts