Box offers 50 GB free storage with updated Android cloud service
New devices also adds support for four European languages; demos slated for Mobile World Congress next week
Computerworld - Box Thursday said it has updated its cloud storage service Box for Android, adding a new interface to support Android 4.0 devices and new collaboration features.
Box, a provider of cloud storage and sharing software for mobile devices, today also announced plans to offer 50GB of free cloud storage for the Android 1.6 update over the next month. The offer expires March 23.
Box already supports Apple's iPad and iPhone devices, Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet as well as Android-based products, and allows file sharing with desktops.
Box plans to demo the new app at the Google Android booth at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Matthew Self, vice president of platform development at Box, noted that there are already more iPhones, Android smartphones and iPads in use today than Windows desktop systems, which puts an emphasis on having files stored in the cloud accessible to workers using mobile devices.
"The growth of mobile ... is forcing IT to re-evaluate," Self said. "With the emergence of consumer mobile platforms and Bring Your Own Device to work, CIO's are being flooded. Cloud plus mobile is the future."
Box, which claims some 8 million worldwide users, is also adding support for four European languages -- French, Italian, German and Spanish -- to Box for Android 1.6.
Box offers a variety of prices for individuals and business users.
IT shops in businesses and enterprises can arrange to get custom pricing depending on the number of users, Self said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud This video explains how IBM and the Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its infrastructure and respond to the growing need to collaborate...
- Pivotal CF: The Journey to Great Software Begins Here The concept of PaaS is not new, but a new class is emerging. This second generation of hybrid PaaS allows technologists to have... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts