Box offers 50 GB free storage with updated Android cloud service
New devices also adds support for four European languages; demos slated for Mobile World Congress next week
Computerworld - Box Thursday said it has updated its cloud storage service Box for Android, adding a new interface to support Android 4.0 devices and new collaboration features.
Box, a provider of cloud storage and sharing software for mobile devices, today also announced plans to offer 50GB of free cloud storage for the Android 1.6 update over the next month. The offer expires March 23.
Box already supports Apple's iPad and iPhone devices, Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet as well as Android-based products, and allows file sharing with desktops.
Box plans to demo the new app at the Google Android booth at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Matthew Self, vice president of platform development at Box, noted that there are already more iPhones, Android smartphones and iPads in use today than Windows desktop systems, which puts an emphasis on having files stored in the cloud accessible to workers using mobile devices.
"The growth of mobile ... is forcing IT to re-evaluate," Self said. "With the emergence of consumer mobile platforms and Bring Your Own Device to work, CIO's are being flooded. Cloud plus mobile is the future."
Box, which claims some 8 million worldwide users, is also adding support for four European languages -- French, Italian, German and Spanish -- to Box for Android 1.6.
Box offers a variety of prices for individuals and business users.
IT shops in businesses and enterprises can arrange to get custom pricing depending on the number of users, Self said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Cloud Storage White Papers |