ForeScout platform simplifies BYOD push for enterprises
The product can allow or limit access to enterprise resources from smartphones and tablets depending configuration
IDG News Service - ForeScout Technologies has launched ForeScout Mobile, which comes in the shape of plug-in modules for Android and iOS and allows enterprises to keep control as a plethora of devices access corporate resources, the company said on Tuesday.
ForeScout's access control technology is device agnostic, but with the addition of the Mobile Security Module the company adds more extensive features for Android and iOS.
ForeScout can collect hardware, software and configuration information for each iPhone or Android-based smartphone and reports the data to a central appliance. It can see whether a device has been jailbroken, or doesn't use password protection. That then allows the IT department to determine the security level on each device, and block or limit network access based on device type, device ownership, time of day, and device compliance, according to ForeScout.
The IT department can also take actions to protect enterprise resources. For example, the camera on an iPhone can be turned off when the user is in the office.
The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android consists of a plug-in and an app, while the module for the iPhone and iPad natively supports iOS devices, by using the Apple Mobile Device Management API (application programming interface) and the Apple Push Notification service, according to ForeScout.
Choosing to focus on Apple's iPhone and iPad along with Android-based devices was a "no-brainer," according to Hanan Levin, vice president of product management at ForeScout, whose biggest wish is that the same APIs could be used on both OSes.
Today, Apple's APIs work well, but you can't do anything outside of what they support, Levin said. On Android, "the sky is the limit", but you have to do all the work yourself and integrate with OS, Levin added.
The company has also launched the Mobile MDM Module, a product that can integrate with existing management platforms and adds more access control features.
ForeScout Mobile costs from US$2,800 for 100 devices. The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android and iOS are in beta test and will be available in April. The ForeScout Mobile MDM Module will start shipping in the third quarter.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
Consumerization of IT
- With BYOD smartphones on the rise, IT headaches will become migraines
- Apple plays defense and offense with free software, upgrade strategies
- The three extremes of corporate BYOD policies
- IT departments won't exist in five years
- The time is right for an 'IT petting zoo'
- The next corporate revolution will be power to the peons
- Dual persona smartphones non grata at Starz
- Google Glass breaks into business
- BYOD, or else. Companies will soon require that workers use their own smartphone on the job
- 'Dual personality' could morph into Jekyll and Hyde for Samsung and BlackBerry
- Top 12 Laptop Bags for Mobile Pros
- Think Deleted Text Messages Are Gone Forever? Think Again
- 7 New Faces of the C-suite
- 5 Ways CIOs Can Rationalize Application Portfolios
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The cloud: inevitable, but not ubiquitous It's an age old question for those considering cloud: where do I start? But with all the hype surrounding the cloud, that's not...
- START small, grow tall: Why cloud now Executives and leaders look forward to the day when IT will be delivered as a pure service throughout the organization. But the reality...
- Five Considerations for Putting Dev/Test in the Cloud Although the benefits of moving dev/test operations to a cloud model are numerous, it's important that organizations do their homework up front to...
- Seven design principles for building a converged cloud Read this paper to find out how a converged cloud strategy provides simplicity, speed, reduced cost and risk, and compliance.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts