ForeScout platform simplifies BYOD push for enterprises
The product can allow or limit access to enterprise resources from smartphones and tablets depending configuration
IDG News Service - ForeScout Technologies has launched ForeScout Mobile, which comes in the shape of plug-in modules for Android and iOS and allows enterprises to keep control as a plethora of devices access corporate resources, the company said on Tuesday.
ForeScout's access control technology is device agnostic, but with the addition of the Mobile Security Module the company adds more extensive features for Android and iOS.
ForeScout can collect hardware, software and configuration information for each iPhone or Android-based smartphone and reports the data to a central appliance. It can see whether a device has been jailbroken, or doesn't use password protection. That then allows the IT department to determine the security level on each device, and block or limit network access based on device type, device ownership, time of day, and device compliance, according to ForeScout.
The IT department can also take actions to protect enterprise resources. For example, the camera on an iPhone can be turned off when the user is in the office.
The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android consists of a plug-in and an app, while the module for the iPhone and iPad natively supports iOS devices, by using the Apple Mobile Device Management API (application programming interface) and the Apple Push Notification service, according to ForeScout.
Choosing to focus on Apple's iPhone and iPad along with Android-based devices was a "no-brainer," according to Hanan Levin, vice president of product management at ForeScout, whose biggest wish is that the same APIs could be used on both OSes.
Today, Apple's APIs work well, but you can't do anything outside of what they support, Levin said. On Android, "the sky is the limit", but you have to do all the work yourself and integrate with OS, Levin added.
The company has also launched the Mobile MDM Module, a product that can integrate with existing management platforms and adds more access control features.
ForeScout Mobile costs from US$2,800 for 100 devices. The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android and iOS are in beta test and will be available in April. The ForeScout Mobile MDM Module will start shipping in the third quarter.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Consumerization of IT
- There's still a security disconnect on BYOD
- Why CIOs Shouldn't Block Rogue Cloud Apps
- Field Notes: 'Rogue' employees want IT to lighten up already
- IT shops losing control over technology
- Consumerization of IT in the enterprise starting to pay off
- With BYOD smartphones on the rise, IT headaches will become migraines
- Apple plays defense and offense with free software, upgrade strategies
- The three extremes of corporate BYOD policies
- IT departments won't exist in five years
- The time is right for an 'IT petting zoo'
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- What Makes a Cloud Solution Truly Enterprise-Grade? Future enterprise cloud capabilities will evolve from five core elements...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!