ForeScout platform simplifies BYOD push for enterprises
The product can allow or limit access to enterprise resources from smartphones and tablets depending configuration
IDG News Service - ForeScout Technologies has launched ForeScout Mobile, which comes in the shape of plug-in modules for Android and iOS and allows enterprises to keep control as a plethora of devices access corporate resources, the company said on Tuesday.
ForeScout's access control technology is device agnostic, but with the addition of the Mobile Security Module the company adds more extensive features for Android and iOS.
ForeScout can collect hardware, software and configuration information for each iPhone or Android-based smartphone and reports the data to a central appliance. It can see whether a device has been jailbroken, or doesn't use password protection. That then allows the IT department to determine the security level on each device, and block or limit network access based on device type, device ownership, time of day, and device compliance, according to ForeScout.
The IT department can also take actions to protect enterprise resources. For example, the camera on an iPhone can be turned off when the user is in the office.
The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android consists of a plug-in and an app, while the module for the iPhone and iPad natively supports iOS devices, by using the Apple Mobile Device Management API (application programming interface) and the Apple Push Notification service, according to ForeScout.
Choosing to focus on Apple's iPhone and iPad along with Android-based devices was a "no-brainer," according to Hanan Levin, vice president of product management at ForeScout, whose biggest wish is that the same APIs could be used on both OSes.
Today, Apple's APIs work well, but you can't do anything outside of what they support, Levin said. On Android, "the sky is the limit", but you have to do all the work yourself and integrate with OS, Levin added.
The company has also launched the Mobile MDM Module, a product that can integrate with existing management platforms and adds more access control features.
ForeScout Mobile costs from US$2,800 for 100 devices. The ForeScout Mobile Security Module for Android and iOS are in beta test and will be available in April. The ForeScout Mobile MDM Module will start shipping in the third quarter.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Consumerization of IT
- Consumerization of IT in the enterprise starting to pay off
- With BYOD smartphones on the rise, IT headaches will become migraines
- Apple plays defense and offense with free software, upgrade strategies
- The three extremes of corporate BYOD policies
- IT departments won't exist in five years
- The time is right for an 'IT petting zoo'
- The next corporate revolution will be power to the peons
- Dual persona smartphones non grata at Starz
- Google Glass breaks into business
- BYOD, or else. Companies will soon require that workers use their own smartphone on the job
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts