- IT's Elite: Earning the rewards of risk-taking
- Class of 2012 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 are calculated risk-takers.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2012.
- Learn from the Best. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 11-13, 2012.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
A big bet on big data pays off.
Computerworld - In two short years as CIO at Equifax, David Webb has worked hard to transform the credit reporting agency.
"We're on the cusp of a revolution with data," he says. This revolution will allow Equifax to deliver more extensive insights into consumer behavior that the firm's clients can use to make better risk and marketing decisions, he says.
Faced with integrating $1.6 billion in new data assets, including 30 billion records on income, assets and real estate, with Equifax's existing credit data, Webb, 55, realized he needed a new approach to big data that would let IT crunch hundreds of terabytes in a matter of seconds. Rather than invest $7.5 million in hardware for its massively parallel processing environment, Webb bet that Equifax's engineers could build a better mousetrap in the form of a new indexing technology.
"We rolled the dice and built solutions internally that had the potential to derail some significant revenue streams had we got it wrong," he says. But Project Keystone, as it's called, also had the potential to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in additional revenue.
Fortunately, Webb says, the plan worked. "With Project Keystone, we can produce products and bring them to market in a fraction of the time of our previous model or what the competition could do," he says. (For more on Webb and Project Keystone, see the blog post Equifax: Facebook, Google biggest threats.)
"David gets the big picture very quickly, and his vision to move fast is critical," says Ravi Acharya, senior vice president of global Internet solutions. "It helps challenge us all."
-- Robert L. Mitchell
More on the 2012 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts