- IT's Elite: Earning the rewards of risk-taking
- Class of 2012 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 are calculated risk-takers.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2012.
- Learn from the Best. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 11-13, 2012.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
A quick fix adds long-term functionality.
Computerworld - Overhauling an IT infrastructure is never easy, but winning over IT staff and business units with an ambitious plan can be nearly impossible.
Dan Traynor, 55, is accomplishing both of those feats as CIO at the Tennessee Valley Authority in Knoxville, Tenn. When business units clamored for new systems, he posed questions like these to leaders: Does it make sense to spend money on something that might be useful for only a year or two? Or would it be better to solve a problem for the long term and in the process get something that provides more functionality?
"Getting people to be rational about that is always a risky proposition," Traynor explains. "It's trying to get beyond the emotion of the moment and think clearly." Ultimately, he persuaded business leaders to put some projects on hold and devised solutions for the most critical problems. TVA officials approved the plan, along with a 10% increase in IT staffing and a 40% increase in funding.
Russ Steward, vice president of supply chain, describes Traynor as reflective, engaging and unrelenting. "Dan brought in an enterprise view to get us all looking at it from a bigger lens," Steward says. "The biggest risk now is keeping up the energy that people feel. Some of that comes from better communication and optimism that we have a plan and people 'get it.' But a lot of it is also that TVA believes that a healthy, high-performing IT organization is a requirement for us to achieve our overall business objectives. That sells pretty well."
— Stacy Collett, a Computerworld contributing writer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
More on the 2012 Premier 100
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts