- IT's Elite: Earning the rewards of risk-taking
- Class of 2012 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 are calculated risk-takers.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2012.
- Learn from the Best. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 11-13, 2012.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Daphne E. Jones
This CIO balances security and employee choice
Computerworld - When Hospira's chairman carried an iPad into a senior leadership meeting one morning, CIO Daphne E. Jones knew she was on the fast track to supporting a bring-your-own-device infrastructure.
"I was like, 'Holy moly, what am I going to do?' " says Jones, 54, who late last year launched a worldwide pilot program with 100 corporate leaders to test how to support iPads and iPhones.
Hospira, a global specialty pharmaceutical and medication-delivery equipment firm with 14,000 employees, is still more than a year away from enterprisewide support of mobile consumer technologies, but it plans to complete the pilot by April. Currently, employees use Lenovo PCs and BlackBerries, but Jones is looking for ways to offer all employees the same functionality no matter what device they use.
She's collaborating with universities, vendors and fellow CIOs to create "mobility councils" to help the IT industry in general adapt the bring-your-own-device era. "I think most CIOs are struggling or embarking on doing these things. I want to learn together with other companies," she says.
"Daphne defines the meaning of collaborative partner," says James Hardy, senior vice president of operations. "She requires the business to be at the table, but she takes responsibility to drive the IT process to deliver against the business needs. We are one team at Hospira, and Daphne ensures we never lose sight of this goal."
— Lucas Mearian
More on the 2012 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts