- IT's Elite: Earning the rewards of risk-taking
- Class of 2012 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 are calculated risk-takers.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2012.
- Learn from the Best. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 11-13, 2012.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Daphne E. Jones
This CIO balances security and employee choice
Computerworld - When Hospira's chairman carried an iPad into a senior leadership meeting one morning, CIO Daphne E. Jones knew she was on the fast track to supporting a bring-your-own-device infrastructure.
"I was like, 'Holy moly, what am I going to do?' " says Jones, 54, who late last year launched a worldwide pilot program with 100 corporate leaders to test how to support iPads and iPhones.
Hospira, a global specialty pharmaceutical and medication-delivery equipment firm with 14,000 employees, is still more than a year away from enterprisewide support of mobile consumer technologies, but it plans to complete the pilot by April. Currently, employees use Lenovo PCs and BlackBerries, but Jones is looking for ways to offer all employees the same functionality no matter what device they use.
She's collaborating with universities, vendors and fellow CIOs to create "mobility councils" to help the IT industry in general adapt the bring-your-own-device era. "I think most CIOs are struggling or embarking on doing these things. I want to learn together with other companies," she says.
"Daphne defines the meaning of collaborative partner," says James Hardy, senior vice president of operations. "She requires the business to be at the table, but she takes responsibility to drive the IT process to deliver against the business needs. We are one team at Hospira, and Daphne ensures we never lose sight of this goal."
— Lucas Mearian
More on the 2012 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts