- IT's Elite: Earning the rewards of risk-taking
- Class of 2012 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 are calculated risk-takers.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2012.
- Learn from the Best. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 11-13, 2012.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Supporting fundamental IT projects proves a win-win
Computerworld - Ralph Loura, CIO of Clorox, recently took a political risk and lived to tell the tale.
During the annual planning process at the maker of household cleaning products, three projects were competing for the same funding. Two were new initiatives with "strong business leaders and good business cases," Loura says. The third was an IT integration proposal -- a "cleanup" kind of deal that had been postponed for years.
Loura, 47, backed the cleanup project.
In the end, part of the funding went to the integration and part of it went to one of the new projects. But, Loura says, he learned a few things from the dust-up.
First, "you have to fight" for the foundational IT projects that are important to the company's long-term growth, he says. Second, the executives involved now "have a much better understanding of each other," and that's a good thing. "The best client managers are those who do a good job of saying no, and can challenge a fairly powerful business client and stick to their guns," Loura says.
Linda Martino, vice president of business applications and one of Loura's direct reports, says her boss's political acuity is one reason she's glad he's at Clorox. "He's helped socialize the other executives that IT is an ongoing improvement process and not just a one-time investment," she says. "He's really energetic and has brought hope. [Employees] now have a senior leader with vision."
— Johanna Ambrosio
More on the 2012 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts