Japan's Softbank set to launch 76Gbps mobile data service
The service, which will start with a wi-fi router, will support speeds of up to 110Mbps
IDG News Service - Japan's third-largest mobile carrier said Monday it will launch a new high-speed service this week, with a portable Wi-Fi router that will support download speeds of up to 76Mbps.
Softbank said its 4G wireless network, first announced last year, will eventually support devices with speeds of up to 110Mbps, faster than many wired connections provide today.
The company will hold its official launch for "Softbank 4G" on Friday. The first device it will offer for the network will be a soap-bar sized portable Wi-Fi router from Seiko Instruments, which will allow up to 10 Wi-Fi users to share the mobile connection at download speeds of up to 76Mbps and upload speeds up to 10Mbps.
Softbank's high-speed network is based on a format called AXGP, an advanced version of an older Japanese standard, Personal Handy-phone System (PHS). Softbank has said it is "highly compatible" with TD-LTE, a Chinese standard also known as LTE TDD, which is growing in popularity throughout Asia. Media reports have said Apple will support the standard in future devices.
The service will cost $70 per month. Download speeds will be limited to 128kbps for users that exceed 5GB of data use per month, although the limit can be extended for an additional fee.
The 4G service will only be available in Japan's major cities at launch, and will revert to Softbank's existing 42Mbps network in other areas.
Japan's two other major carriers have also committed to LTE-based standards. NTT DoCoMo, the largest mobile provider in the country, launched its service in 2010 under the brand name "Xi," pronounced "Crossy."
In the U.S., Verizon and AT&T run high-speed LTE networks.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- 8 Steps to Fill the Mobile Enterprise Application Gap Traveling executives and Millennials alike expect to communicate, collaborate and access their important work applications and data from anywhere on whatever device they...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts