Foxconn to increase workers' wages in China
Foxconn's assembly line workers in China will now make between US$350 and $400 a month
IDG News Service - Apple supplier Foxconn Technology said on Saturday it had raised wages for its assembly line workers in China by 16 to 25 percent, as the company faces public scrutiny for its working conditions at its factories.
A prominent activist group however said the wages at Foxconn are still too low.
For workers in Shenzhen, a major manufacturing base for Foxconn, the increase raises monthly salaries to between 2200 yuan (US$350) and 2500 yuan. Previously, monthly salaries for Foxconn's Shenzhen workers were at 1800 yuan.
Foxconn, which implemented the wage hike on Feb. 1, noted that its worker salaries had already exceeded the Shenzhen government's mandated minimum monthly wage requirement of 1500 yuan. 75 percent of Foxconn's assembly line workforce in Shenzhen are currently receiving wages of more than 2200 yuan, the company added.
Foxconn announced the wage increases as the company's factories in China undergo an investigation by the Fair Labor Association (FLA), a labor rights group. Apple joined the FLA last month, and asked the group to audit its largest suppliers.
Despite Foxconn's wage increase announcement, the employees monthly salaries are still too low, said Debby Chan, a project officer with Hong Kong based labor watchdog group Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior. On top of their regular working hours, many of Foxconn's employees will also do overtime work, adding an additional 60 hour to 80 hours to their work-month, she said.
Foxconn workers' salaries also vary by location, Chan said. In the city of Zhengzhou, new Foxconn workers make an average monthly salary of 1,350 yuan, she said. "After the wage increase, it will be 1650 yuan," she said. "I think Foxconn is playing with the numbers."
Foxconn, one of the world's largest electronic manufacturers, also supplies companies including Dell, Sony and Microsoft. But the company has faced repeated negative publicity for its alleged harsh working conditions.
In 2010, a string of suicides, involving employees jumping off buildings, prompted Apple to investigate. Last May, an explosion at a Foxconn factory in Chengdu, China, also led to three worker deaths, and more than a dozen other injured.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- System and Data Protection, Recovery and Availability This white paper describes how ARCserve works and the benefits it can provide IT environments of all sizes.
- Simplifying Data Protection, Reducing Risk of Data Loss and System Downtime This white paper outlines what IT organizations should look for in a data protection solution, including simplicity and ease of deployment, comprehensive protection,...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts