Acer upgrades Iconia Tab tablets to Android 4.0
Android 4.0 upgrades will be initially delivered to Acer Iconia Tab A200 models
The initial updates to Android 4.0 will be pushed over the air to A200 models with 10-inch screens in the U.S., and will be completed over the next week. Upgrades for the 10-inch Iconia Tab A500 and 7-inch Iconia Tab A100 will be delivered by the end of April in the U.S.
The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment on when updates would be delivered worldwide. Acer's A-series tablets currently run on Android 3.0, which is code-named Honeycomb.
The new OS features improvements that make tablet navigation and usage easier, according to a statement from Acer. The Iconia Tabs will have an improved user interface and users will find it easier to manage applications and folders, Acer said.
There also will be an improved Web browser and better multitasking features, Acer said. An application called Acer Ring will make it easier for users to access key tablet applications and also users to easily take and post pictures or write status updates on social networks.
The new OS also has some features related to NFC (Near Field Communication), which makes it easier to share data between mobile devices. However, Acer's tablets do not yet have NFC hardware to take advantage of the feature.
In the future Acer will offer tablet users AcerCloud, where images, video and documents could be stored online for free through a service hosted by the company. The service would be offered on PCs, tablets and smartphones.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts